Bamboo Flooring Care & Maintenance
Cleaning Bamboo Flooring
Cali Bamboo® flooring is treated with an industry-leading scratch resistant coating, and its density and strength surpasses almost any other flooring in the world.
Bamboo flooring is tough, but all hardwood flooring is pervious to dents, scratches, discoloration or other natural or man-made damage. Prevention is a big part of the care for bamboo floors.
- Cali Bamboo recommends you vacuum or sweep the floor on a regular basis or as needed to remove dirt, sand or grit.
- Soak up spills immediately using a dry towel or dry mop.
- For general cleaning, use Bona Pro Hardwood Floor Cleaner & Bona Pro Hardwood Floor Mop.
- Fit furniture legs with felt tips or protective caps. Fix rolling furniture with soft rubber casters. Pick up heavy furniture or appliances; do not slide.
- Keep pets nails trimmed to avoid excess scratching.
- Limit direct sunlight on floor by using curtains and blinds in areas that are exposed to high UV rays.
- Maintain relative humidity between 40%-60%.
- Never wet-mop a hardwood floor. Standing water may cause permanent damage.
- Never use any of the following products on your floor: ammonia-based cleaners, mineral spirits, acrylic finishes, wax-based products, detergents, bleach, polishes, oil soap, abrasive cleaning soaps, or acidic materials such as vinegar. Never apply wax treatments to your floor.
- Use interior and exterior doormats at entrances to prevent dirt and moisture from being tracked onto the floor.
- Area rugs are also recommended in front of kitchen sinks and in high traffic areas.
- Do not use rugs with solid rubber or vinyl backings. Rugs must be made of a breathable material to prevent moisture entrapment. We recommend using a breathable rug underlay. Mesh or grid patterns are best.
Care & Maintenance FAQ
What is the best way to mop my Cali Bamboo floor?
Never wet (or damp) mop your floor. Standing water can damage the floor. You may periodically use a very slightly dampened (near dry) mop to spot-clean; however excessive moisture will dull the finish. For wood flooring in the kitchen, place an area rug in front of the kitchen sink. We recommend using Bona Pro Hardwood Floor Cleaner & Bona Pro Hardwood Floor Mop to clean your floor.
How can I protect the finish of my bamboo floor from wear over time?
Sweep and vacuum your floor regularly using a broom or dust mop. Brush or felt vacuum heads are recommended as opposed to vacuums with beater bars or hard heads. Use throw rugs both inside and outside doorways to prevent debris from being tracked onto floors. Keep pet’s claws trimmed to avoid excess scratches. Avoid contact with excess moisture. Avoid walking on your floors with cleats, sports shoes and high heels. Do not slide heavy furniture or appliances across the floor.
What are the best environmental conditions for my flooring?
As a general rule, with geographic exceptions, flooring will perform best when the interior environment is controlled to stay within a relative humidity range of 40%-60% and a temperature range of 60° to 80° Fahrenheit. (In some climates, the ideal humidity range might be higher or lower – 25 to 45 percent in desert areas for example.) It is the owner’s responsibility to maintain appropriate conditions via the use of humidifier and/or de-humidifier. In homes in which occupants are there for a short period of time (weekend home or vacation cabin), or in rooms that are closed off (not heated or air conditioned) to save energy, ventilation is a must even when the home is not occupied.
How do I fix a scratch on my finish?
If the scratch is white, the finish has not been compromised and is repairable. Simply using a flooring cleaner, like Bona, should eliminate these blemishes. If the scratch is deeper but the raw wood is not exposed, light buffing with a white polishing pad can shine up the dull area. Often the damage becomes less obvious. When removing stains from any wood floor, always begin at the outer edge of the stain and work toward the middle.
My wood floor was damaged through the finish. Can it be repaired?
If you have a minor chip or slight damage, this may be minimized with a colored wax. Color Rite Caulk and Mohawk Fill Sticks are wood fill products that work great to reduce the appearance of deeper blemishes. For light scratches we recommend Tibet Almond Stick. If the damage is severe enough, board replacement is typically the best option. To match your floor repairs, we suggest that you take a sample of the flooring to your local hardware store. In most cases, more than one shade may be appropriate.
Can I refinish my Cali Bamboo® Flooring?
Major modifications are not recommended and are never a guaranteed solution; all repairs are unique. Excessive sanding is not covered under warranty. Nevertheless, the method of refinishing Cali Bamboo® Flooring is the same as any hardwood flooring. An aluminum oxide coating is advisable. Please always seek assistance from an NWFA Certified Specialist, and always test on a sample plank before you proceed.
What changes can I expect in my flooring from season to season?
Cali Bamboo floors, like all species of hardwood flooring, are subject to changes in temperature and humidity. Seasonal fluctuations in relative humidity may cause the wood flooring to gain moisture with periods of high humidity, and lose moisture during low periods of humidity. These changes may be noticeable. During warm, humid weather, wood expands. During dry weather, wood contracts. This seasonal movement is a normal characteristic of wood flooring, and can be minimized by using a HVAC system to maintain relative humidity between 40%-60%.
Can I put heavy furniture on floated flooring?
Heavy furniture (500+ lbs.) may obstruct the free, natural movement of a floated floor. Restricting this movement in certain areas can lead to problems such as buckling or separation when the floor experiences natural expansion and/or contraction.