Bamboo Fencing Care and Maintenance
Low Maintenance Fencing
A regular maintenance schedule is the best way to protect your bamboo fence. When properly cared for, Cali Bamboo® fencing can last decades in even the harshest climates:
Form and function have finally come together in the fence world. Aesthetically pleasing, durable, easy to install, and made from the strongest, most environmentally sustainable wood on Earth, Cali Bamboo® Fencing transforms yards, enhances landscapes, and adds a new dimension to the concept of what a fence can be.
Cali Bamboo® Fence Panels are constructed from select bamboo poles that come from sustainably managed organic bamboo groves. As the world leader in bamboo fencing, Cali Bamboo™ Fence Panels must first undergo an extensive selection process to ensure the uniformity consistency before being put through our proprietary Sigma7™ Processing which ensures the longevity and durability that can only be found in a Cali Bamboo® Fence.
Sealing Your Fence At the Time of Installation
- Cleaning Solutions: Combine ¾ parts water, ¼ parts bleach, or use any environmentally-friendly fence cleaner available at your local hardware store: Simple Green™ or Olympic™ Premium Deck Cleaner & Brightener
- Tools : Power Washer, Nylon Bristle Brush, $12 Spray Nozzle, Spray Bottle, Sander / Sandpaper
- Sealant: TWP® 300 – with fungicide and UV inhibitors.
How to Clean and Seal Your Fence:
- Spray bamboo liberally with cleaning solution.
- Allow to soak for 15 minutes.
- Scrub surface with a nylon bristle brush, wipe away loosened residue with towel.
- Rinse bamboo using power washer or hose.
- Allow 2 days for bamboo to air-dry completely.
- Apply first coat weather-protectant containing fungicide and UV-inhibitor. Always follow manufacturer’s application instructions. See guidelines below:
- Do not apply below 50°, if rain is expected within 48 hours, or heavy dew is present.
- Mix thoroughly before applying first coat to bamboo panel using a brush, roll or spray.
- Avoid exposure to high levels of moisture while the sealant is drying.
- To accelerate dry time, scuff up the tacky TWP® surface of to release entrapped solvents.
- The best finish will be achieved with two coats.
- Allow 3 days for the first coat to dry thoroughly.
- Scuff up the first coat of sealant with a bristle brush prior to applying second coat for best results.
Continued Maintenance After Installation:
- First year maintenance: Clean and re-seal your fence following steps above after 12 months.
- Regular maintenance: Sweep away foliage buildup from your fence regularly, especially where shade and water is abundant. Take measures to edge and trim the terrain around your fence.
- Future maintenance: Clean and re-seal your fence every 2-3 years, or as needed depending on the regional climate conditions. Follow steps above.
How Often Should I Clean and Seal My Fence?
It is advisable to clean and seal your fence prior to installation and every 2-3 years thereafter (see instructions above). However, there is no such thing as a “one-size-fits-all” treatment. Depending on the regional climate, it may be advisable to apply a sealant annually for the best results.
Will My Bamboo Fence Age?
Like all outdoor wood products, bamboo can be subject to natural susceptibilities that may include surface mold, cracking or discoloration. Fortunately, these superficial changes can be remedied (see instructions above) and will not affect the structural integrity of your bamboo.
Can I Restore A Weathered Fence?
Yes; your fencing is 100% repairable. Cali Bamboo Fences can be easily restored. If you notice natural weathering such as mold or discoloration, it is a good time to clean and re-seal your fence (see instructions above). Oftentimes, a restored fence will look even better than when it was new.
Weathered Bamboo Fence:
Restored with Dark Oak TWP: