Green Shoots Blog
August marks the end of lazy summer days and the anticipation of “back to school” for many families. Whether you are sending kids back to school or not, all of us can find ways to become “green students”! It’s as easy as 1 – 2 – 3 !
1. Food For Thought
If you are packing a school lunch or bringing lunch from home to the office, consider reusable lunch sacks, sandwich bags, thermoses & utensils. The EPA estimates each child bringing a brown bag lunch to school generates 67 pounds of waste by the end of the year! There are so many choices in eco friendly reusable lunch gear, even bags and utensils made from bamboo! Check out these great 5 Steps to a Waste Free Lunch courtesy of ReUseIt.com.
2. Rethink Your School & Office Supplies
Did you know 6 billion pens are thrown away every year in the U.S.? And Americans discard 4 million tons of office paper every year — enough to build a 12-ft high wall of paper from New York to California! Choose recycled paper or paper products made from alternative fibers like bamboo, hemp or kenaf. You can also get cool pens, post-its, scissors that are recyclable, biodegradable or made from recycled material at your local office supply store.
3. Support Green Schools in Your Community
The greening of America’s schools is part of a larger trend toward more energy-efficient construction, from homes to shopping malls, city halls and office buildings. Green schools save money on rising energy costs and provide a healthier, more productive learning environment for children. The U.S. Green Building Council estimates if a green school saved $100,000 in yearly operational costs, that’s roughly enough to hire two new teachers, buy 200 new computers or purchase 5,000 new textbooks. Visit the USGBC website dedicated to greening our schools at www.greenschoolbuildings.org.
How We’re Keeping it Green at Cali Bamboo Headquarters!
- Provide hand dryers instead of paper towels in the bathrooms
- Stock washable glasses, plates & utensils vs. disposable in the break room
- Installed a filtered drinking water system to use with reusable water bottles
- Provide rechargeable batteries with a communal charging station
- Offer lockers and a shower to employees who bike, walk or jog to work
- Use re-charged toner cartridges and set all printers to double sided by default
- Utilize occupancy sensors with lighting fixtures in low occupancy areas