What is FSC®
What is FSC®? The Forest Stewardship Council or FSC® is an independent, non-governmental, not-for-profit organization established to promote the responsible management of the world’s forests and to certify forest products. The FSC’s partners, like Cali Bamboo, feel that natural resources can be processed in ways which ensure a healthy ecological balance is maintained, so that “the social, economic, ecological, cultural and spiritual needs of present and future generations” can be met.
Cali Bamboo FSC® Certified Products available upon request:
- Bamboo Flooring
- Eucalyptus Flooring
- Bamboo Plywood
- Composite Bamboo Decking
The FSC® Principles and Criteria include managerial aspects as well as strict environmental and social requirements describing how to manage forests. 10 principles and 56 associated criteria form the basis for all FSC forest management standards. Here is a summary of some of the FSC® Principles and Criteria requirements:
• Prohibit conversion of forests or any other natural habitat
• Respect of international workers rights
• Prohibition of use of hazardous chemicals
• Respect of Human Rights with particular attention to indigenous peoples
• No corruption – follow all applicable laws
• Identification and appropriate management of areas that need special protection (e.g. cultural or sacred sites, habitat of endangered animals or plants)
Some Encouraging FSC® facts:
• FSC® certified forests now represent the equivalent of 5% of the world’s production forests.
• In 2010 more than 120 million hectares of forest in over 80 countries worldwide are certified to FSC® standards.
• The sales of FSC® certified products is valued at over 20 billion US dollars.
• In 2008, 50% of the companies in the forest product supply chain attained FSC® certification.